I. Bentuk Teks Continuous
Text I. A News Item
The price has risen to more than one hundred twenty dollars a barrel. Some experts say the most resent price increase is only the beginning, they have predicted that oil could reach two hundred dollars a barrel.
Unreast in oil producing countries has been partly to blame. Last weekend, a rebel group inNigeriasaid it attacked an oil center in Bayelsa state.Nigeriais the eight biggest oil exporter in the world.
Also,IraqIs slowly rebuilding its oil production ability.Iraq’s industry minister says the country’s oil production is currently at about two million barrels of oil a day. He says that could increase two five million barrels of oil a day in two to three years depending on how much foreign helpIraqreceives.
The Venezuelan governments efforts to control its oil industry have increased tensions with foreign oil producers. AndRussia, the worlds second largest exporter, as also sought to increase government control of its energy resource. Nationalization of oil resources often out foreign investment that would normally seek to increase supplies.
Another cause of high oil prices is the weak American dollar. Oil is traded in dollars, so a less valuable dollar buys less oil. But experts have noted that the week dollar alone cannot explain the increase of about eighty-five percent in the price of oil over the last year.
The organization of petroleum Exporting Countries is the world’s largest oil producing group. It says its member nation, not including Iraq, are investing one hundred twenty billion dollars in over one hundred new oil projects. OPEC says it produces about forty-fives percent of the worlds oil exports.
In the past, non-OPEC producers likeRussia,MexicoandNorwayhave increased production to meet demand. But these nations have struggled to keep production at the levels of recent years.Norway’s production, for example, has decreased by twenty-five percent since two thousands one.
The expanding economies of Asia, especiallyChinaandIndia, have increased pressure on the world supplies. Meeting demand appears to be harder than ever before.
- What is the main idea of the passage?
- The price of oil is increasing.
- The decreasing value of US dollar has caused the rise of oil price.
- Why the price of oil is increasing.
- The world’s higher demand on oil is the main problem.
- Oil could reach two hundred dollars per barrel.
- How much was the increase of the oil price last year?
- No increase
- It can be inferred in the passage thatIraq…..
- Is the worlds biggest oil producer
- Can increase its oil production in the near future
- Is not a member of OPEC
- Is investing in new oil project
- Needs help to increase its oil production because the country is recocevering from war
- According to the passage, the price of oil is increasing because…….
- There are political conflicts in some oil producing countries
- Asian countries need more oil to provide for their economic development
- There is a decrease in oil sources
- The value of US dollar is low
- All of the above
- The world ‘unrest’ in line 4 means……
- Does not have a break
Text I B. Report
The durian is the fruit pf trees from the genus Durio belonging to the Malvaceae,a large family which includes hibiscus,okra,cotton,mallows,and linden trees.Widely known and revered in Shouteast Asia the as the “King of Fruits”,the fruit is distinctive for its large size,unique odour,and formidable thorn-covered husk.The fruit can grow up to 30 centiometres (12 in) long and 15 centimetres (6 in) in diameter,and typically weighs one to three kilograms (2 to 7 lb).Its shape brangers from oblong to round,the colour of its husk green to brown,and its flesh pale-yellow to red,depending on the species.
The edible flesh emits a distinctive odour,strong and penetrating even when the husk is intact.Regarded by some as fragrant,others as overpowering and offensive,the smell evokes reactions from deep appreciation to intense disgust.The odour has led to the fruits banishment from certain hotels and public transportation in Shouteast Asia.
The durian,native to Brunei,Malaysia and Indonesia,has been known to the western world for about 600 yars.The British naturalist Alferd Russel Wallace famously described its flesh as “a rich custard highly flavoured with almonds” in the 19yh century.The flesh can be consumed at various stages of ripeness,and is used to flavor a wide variety of savoury and sweet edibles in Southeast Asian cuisines.The seeds can also be eaten whaen cooked.The name durian comes from the malay word duri (thorn) with suffix-an.
There are 30 recognised Durio species,at least nine of which produce edible fruit.Durio Zibethinus is the only species available in the international market and other species are sold in their local regions.There are hundrerds of durian cultivars;most of them have a common name and a code number starting with “D”.Many consumers exspress preferences for specific culivars,which fetch higher prices in the market.
1.What is the topic of the passage?
- The origin of yhe word durian.
- The carasteristics of durian.
- The species of durian.
- Exotic fruit from Shouteast Asia.
- Kings of fruits.
2.All of the following are true EXCEPT……
- The size of durian fruit is quite big
- Durian belongs to the same family as hibiscus,okera ,cotton,mallows ,and linden trees
- Some people like the smell of durian but other people hate it
- When the husk is intact people cannot smell the strong and penetrating oudour of durian
- The durian is not new for the western people
3.It can be implied from the passage that…….
- Not all species of durian can be eaten
- Every part of the fruit can be eaten
- Many westerners are not familiar with durian
- It its okay to bring durian in all kinds of public transport
- The durian is delicious only when it is fulli ripe
4.Durian got its name from…..
- Malay language
- Indonesian language
- Alfred Russel Wallace
5.The word ‘banishment’ in line 10 is closest in meaning to which of the following words?
Text I. C. Report
Since the introduction of the waling ban,studies have failed to ascertain whether the global Blue Whale population is increasing or remaining stable.In the Antractic,best as timates show a significant increase at 7,3% per year since the end of illegal Soviet Union whaling,but numbers remain at under 1% of there original levels.It has also been suggested Icelandic and Californian population are increasing but these increases are not statistically signifition.The total world population was estimated to between 5,000 and 12,000 in 2002,although there are high levels of uncertainty in available estimates for many areas.The Blue Whale remains listed as “endangered” on the IUCN Red List of tharatened species as it has been since the list’s inception.The largest known contrentration,consisting of about 2000 individuals,is the North-East Pacific population of the Northern Blue Whale (B.m.musculus) subspecies that ranges from Alaska to Costa Rica,but is most commonly seen from California in summer.Sometimes this population starys over to the North-West Pacipic; infrequent sightings between Kamchatka and the northern tip of Jappan have been recorded.
1.Which of the following world be the best tittle for the passage?
- The introduction of the whaling ban.
- Blue Whale as a thratined species
- The blie whale population.
- The increasing population of the blue whale.
- Infrekuen sightings of the Blue Whales in the North-West Pacific.
2.The number of Blue Whales in the biggest group can reach….
- 5.000 to 12.000
- More than 12.000
3.It can be inferred from the passage that…..
- Blue whales swim in groups
- Blue whales population is increasing
- Blue whale population decreasing
- Blue whale population remains table
- Blue whale has recently been included in the endangered species list
4.Bellow are the areas of whales populations EXCEPT……..
- Soviet Union
- North-East Pacific
5.The word ‘sighting’ in line 12 can be best replaced by…….
Text I D. Review
The story to “Kung Fu Panda” is nothing really new,but it is told so well as to actually pak and emosional punch.And it never comes off as logheble,which in lesser hands could easily have haveneed.Speaking of laughs,there are many to be had here as well.”Kung-Fu Panda” works on just about every level a family movie can.The cast features Jack Black as Po the Panda.The furious 5,the most feared groove of warriors in all of China,consists of Tigress (Angelina Jolie).Monkey (Jackie Chan),Mantis (Seth Roger),Viper (Luci Liu) and Crane (David Cross).Their master is Shifu (Dustin Hoffman),a fur ball creature who is a legendary teacher of Kung Fu.Escaped from prison and on his way to clame the dragon Scrollm,which will make him the all powerfull Dragon Warrior,is the good gone bad Tai Lung (Ian McShane).But first,he’ll have to muscle his way around 400 pounds of panda to get to it.
“Kung Fu Panda” is damn good time at the movies.This was the movie that Dreamworks Animations so these perately needed after the disappointing “Sherk The Third” with gorgeous animation spectacularaction a great cast and the dramatic weight of an Akira Kurasowa film,Kung Fu Panda is one of the favourite movies of the year so far.
1.Which of the following quality does not describe the movie?
- Stunning moving picture
- Excellent actors
2.Sherk the third…..
- Is as desperate as Kungfu Panda
- Is not produced by Dreamworks
- Is not a moving picture
- Is not a first-rate movie
- Is brilliant movie
3.The antagonist role of the movie is…..
- Tai Lung
4.The phrase a fur ball creature means…….
- An animal who likes to play fur ball
- A ball-size creature which is hairy
- An animal with black and white skin
- An animal who is good at kungfu
- A hairy animal